LOW DOSE ATROPINE FOR SYMPTOMATIC RELIEF
Tele-Medicine Consultation w/Dr. Johnson + Free Sample
PURPOSE: This program is especially designed for the younger floater sufferers (typically <35 yrs) who are less likely to be candidates for treatment with the laser. But older patients and even those previously treated with the laser may also benefit. ( If you are an existing patient, you don't need this consultation. See instructions below).
A Brief Introduction
Atropine is naturally occurring in some plants and affects the parasympathetic nervous system. It has been used in ophthalmology for well over 100 years and is commonly used for dilating the pupils, treating severe eye inflammation, and with long-term use, it has been shown to reduce the progression of myopia (nearsightedness).
The commercially-available strength (1%) produces very large dilation of the pupils and paralyzes accommodation (eye's focusing ability) and can lasts for up to several days. At that strength it has very specific and justifiable uses, but the extreme sensitivity to light from a widely dilated pupil and loss of ability to focus up close make it not so popular among patients. For eye exams in the office, we use a much shorter acting agent, usually tropicamide.
HOW YOU SEE YOUR FLOATERS:
Remember that when we say "you are seeing floaters", it is not a technically accurate statement. YOU DO NOT SEE FLOATERS, but instead you see the shadows or the disturbance of vision by densities in the vitreous fluid. Those shadows, 'the floaters' you are are aware of are influenced by a few variables. Probably the most important of these is the current size of your pupils which is normally reactive to the amount of light in your environment. Generally, the brighter it is around you, the smaller the pupils, and consequently the more distinct and defined the appearance of your eye floaters. Conversely, in dim or dark environments, the pupils get bigger to allow in more light, but the benefit to that is that the floaters are diminished, softened, and generally less noticeable.
You may have experienced that yourself by instinctively dimming lights, wearing sunglasses indoors, or getting some temporary relief after your dilated eye examination from your eye doctor.
USE OF LOW-DOSE ATROPINE:
One practical application is the use of a very low-dose atropine (0.01%) to mildly dilate the pupil (increasing diameter by 1-2 mm) which can bring some relief from the floaters, but at this dose there is no noticeable loss of near focusing ability. In addition, the patient will not suffer the extreme sensitivity to light (or the socially unacceptable appearance) that accompanies very large pupils.
Medically, full commercial strength (1%) atropine eyedrops are otherwise well tolerated even with long term use. It will be nearly inconceivable that very low dose (0.01%) would or could have any systemic side effects. In studies of long term of 0.05% and 0.01% doses in children confirms this.
If you have read through some of the eye floater discussion forums where this has been discussed, many people ho have used the very low dose atropine eye drops have been very happy with the relief they experience. There is a common frustration, though, in getting their local eye care provider to understand their problem as well as prescribe the modified prescription for them. The other obstacle is finding a compounding pharmacy to mix the eyedrops at a reasonable price. Compounding pharmacies can be very expensive and could charge a few hundred dollars for just a months worth of medication.
We want to change this. Our goal is to make it easier and more convenient to at least try out the very low dose atropine for a few weeks while you go about your business of school, work, and other daily activities that bring about your awareness of the floaters.
We are introducing an opportunity for US residents to have a brief video- or phone consultation with Dr. Johnson to establish a doctor-patient relationship as well as to confirm that you are primarily experiencing eye floaters. After that, we will send you a free sample of preservative-free 0.01% Atropine eye drops to try out. Based on the volume, it should provide about a month's worth of daily use for both eyes.
THE DETAILS. HOW TO GET YOUR SAMPLE OF 0.01% ATROPINE:
1. Schedule a date and time for a video consultation. We will start with two 15-minute spots each work day at 11:00am and 2:00pm. More spots will be made available based on demand. The cost, paid at the time of scheduling is $125.00.
2. As part of the scheduling process and confirmation email, you will receive a link to download a PDF document to fill out and return via email PRIOR to the scheduled appointment.
3. Prior to your appointment, you will be sent a link to a Zoom meeting for the scheduled date and time (link sent to both email and mobile number). You do not need to have a Zoom account to participate.
4. We will have our video consultation to discuss your condition and experience and to make sure there are no medical contraindications to treatment. It will be very helpful if you have had a previous eye examination to ensure your eyes are otherwise healthy and that your floaters are not part of a more serious eye condition.
5. After the video meeting, we will mail you the sample, which should be enough for about 3-4 weeks of daily treatment in both eyes. Certainly enough to experience the effects under your typical activities of daily living and enough to determine if you wish to continue.
6. With the mailed eye drops, you will receive a link to a page on our web site where you can purchase more eye drops to continue treatment as desired.
7. We are mailing the eyedrops via the USPS. We are seeing that it is taking longer than expected for deliveries, in some cases about a week. We mail out the eye drops the same day or next postal- available day as the order or tele-med consultation. We are improving the process from the initial mailings and now including tracking numbers for better accountability.
Includes mailed sample of Atropine 0.01%
Must be > 18 yrs and US Resident
What will the drops cost me if I move forward and want more?
Less than a dollar a day if treating both eyes, every day. Postage is $4.25. We will pay the sales tax.
1 each 4ml bottle : $29.95
2 each 4ml bottle : $57.95
3 each 4ml bottle : $85.95
I have seen Dr. Johnson before. Do I need this consultation?
No. We already have an established doctor-patient relationship. You do not need to schedule a new tele-medicine consultation to purchase these drops. You can order directly from this page:
request for 1, 2, or 3 units
We will reply with a PayPal invoice where you can pay via a Paypal account, or with any debit/credit card. We will mail out your order within 24 hours of receipt of payment (or next available postal day, e.g. Monday).
What if I schedule a Tele-Med Consultation and Decide to Cancel?
We will refund your payment to PayPal less the $3.93 merchant processing fee they charge us for the original transaction.
Suggested next topic